New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: FM's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 pm 

Salute!

Nice, Dawg and Sleepy.

I'll have to try the lites, as 99% of the time I am in a buff.

One thing I can definitely tell all is last frame we could actually use the AP to hold apprx 135 mph for the climb. Gotta look at this for more buffs. Also have to re-do the PA-PR curves, but as far back as late 90's, the Fort curve didn't change much.

Finally, one thing several of we buff-a-holics miss is the 5% change in power using the keybd. Stupid stick controls are tricky to set an exact power. I know that the addition of all the "boost/WEP' values are not exact 5% increments, but what the hell! For gameplay we could use even increments, huh?

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:24 pm 

I don't think there are plans for redoing Buffs with torque so Auto pilot concerns should be no issue.

Dobs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:04 pm 

=dobs= wrote:
I don't think there are plans for redoing Buffs with torque so Auto pilot concerns should be no issue.

Dobs

There was something change in the LAST update. They FIXED the Auto-climb! Worked great.

<S!>
MuskyZ
Newest member of the 4th

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Bomber autopilot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:25 pm 

Salute!

Sorry, Musky. Today I tested the B-24 that we flew for a few frames and could not trim below 150 +/- 2 mph at any power setting.

Fort seems better now, and we did it on frame 5. Mitchell is TBD, but my first look at it was like the Lib, home improvement crapola kept me from doing a good profile..

Best thing was I got a good data run to build the power curve. Looks like the "bucket is about 140 mph, and below that you have to add power. So at 135 I was back up to 75% power, and it's a bear holding altitude with stall horn blaring, wing rock and so forth.

Sadly, as with the autopilot implementation the last 8 years or so, the dampening is bad. Sucker overshoots, undershoots and the beat goes on. I'll post a "hudrecord" file to show what I mean. Format for the dot file is:

.hudrecord <filename> <time interval>

So my run today for Midway terrain was ".hudrecord midb24j 10". The file is placed in main WB folder and is easy to move to Excel or other program.

Gums sends...

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:43 am 

With respect to torque--deciding to cut out the middle man/anecdotal stories/ "my uncle bob's brother bill was a mechanic and he all said every pilots right leg was two times bigger than the left from holding right rudder all the time" "evidence, I decided I would cut straight to the source.

So I messaged my buddy Greg Anders (http://www.heritageflight.org/about-2/greg-anders/) whom I flew F-15E's with in the USAF. The lucky bastard now gets to fly WWII fighters full time, and so I figured I'd tap into his knowledge base. Here is his reply about torque/p-factor and the use of controls to counter it on take off and when slow:

"Hey Dobs. The answer is quite a bit on takeoff. You can't put in more than about 40" of manifold pressure without limiting out your rudder authority below about 35 KIAS. T/O in the Mustang is 2300 RPM (gives you @ 30"MP), release brakes, let her roll as you as you modulate power against rudder to keep her straight. Short runway, I will bring it in sort of quickly with 1/2 right rudder as my planning limit. You'll have right rudder in throughout the takeoff to counter P-factor, and right aileron in to counter torque of the 1,400 Lbs prop spinning up. Lifting the tail at about 45 KIAS also adds in a nose right component from gyroscopic effect. Stalls tend to break left due to gyroscopics. Left turning slow stall will really break left. That phenomenon has killed several folks in air shows."

So if you watched dawgers video, I don't think we have 'overdone' it..if anything it is on the light side, but at least it is there now. Hopefully they got the code fix for autopilot and we can continue on this "happy" path of progress.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6