Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:24 am 

Gums wrote:
Salute!

Quote:
I want to see the full up otto on behavior and the effects of folks doing S3 style attacks

NO, NO, NO, No!!!!!!

After we determine the buff tuff, then we can determine otto effectiveness. Can use S3 ( Jabo) settings, and then allow us to change some parameters.

We never tested two "independent" variables on a single test here at Eglin. Same same for Edwards. We could get data for many "dependent" variables and then work up regression equations to determine the weight of the specific independent variable on the dependent ones plus the whole.

I will post the dot commands for otto later, but some parameters are fixed by the CM ( Jabo). Nevertheless, we can change some ourselves, and the sim will tell us what ones we cannot change.

Gums sends....

Here are the relevant otto system variables (.show) in use in the present S3 series.

OTTO_ACCURACY,1
OTTO_RANGE,10
OTTO_BURSTON_BASE,2.000000
OTTO_BURSTON_MAX,2.000000
OTTO_BURSTOFF_BASE,2.000000
OTTO_RETARGET_TIME,5.000000
OTTO_ACQUIRE_RANGE,7200
OTTO_ADJUST,6
OTTO_OVERRIDES,26

That is what will be set in the WWIIA Thursday. Otto off will discourage realistic attacks but we can change settings easily should it be desired. I just want to get real attacks and not have folks parked d2 behind a defenseless bomber.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:11 am 

dawger wrote:
Otto off will discourage realistic attacks but we can change settings easily should it be desired. I just want to get real attacks and not have folks parked d2 behind a defenseless bomber.

Yes but real effect of otto is only realistic if we can get the 15 odd bombers w/ wingmen as we have in the S3. I agree w/ gums. perhaps test w/o otto at first so the hit boxes can be tested accurately and rapidly.

I will try my best to be there but feel free to use the UMM channel even if I am not present. I'll send out word to our guys and see if they can be present.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 am 

Gums wrote:
We never tested two "independent" variables on a single test here at Eglin. Same same for Edwards. We could get data for many "dependent" variables and then work up regression equations to determine the weight of the specific independent variable on the dependent ones plus the whole.

Hey, Ridley, ya got any Beeman's?

Oblt zikker
Technischer Offizier
II./JG 77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 am 
Site Admin

We have had about 20-30 Bombers into Germany events over the past 15+ years. The S3 philosophy has always been otto set low, buff tuff set high. We like to see multiple attacks, smoking engines and lost elevators. Same holds true for the BOB events. Fighters hate being killed by laser otto and bombers hate being killed by the one shot ping.

You can park a bomber on the runway and have a CM perfectly line up on you at a set distance and hose away. That is how I think buff tuff should be tested. No wavering of either fighter or bomber. You fire by quick taps on the keyboard. Each tap is the smallest burst of the gun enabled. You can also have the log running to record the damage each tap makes. This should then be cross indexed to the weapons file as well as the a\c damage file. Very tedious and time consuming but necessary to figure out how as system as arcane and obscure as WBs is, works.

But you need volunteers, time to be had and a will to make it right. Then the baby is crying, I drink too much and hollywood's hottie has a new movie out :)

Its all good; we are not the newest hottest flashiest sim game out there but we have been doing this forever, we are hardcores and we love what and who we simulate. But most important of all is we all want the same thing and we will work it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 pm 

jabo wrote:
We have had about 20-30 Bombers into Germany events over the past 15+ years. The S3 philosophy has always been otto set low, buff tuff set high. We like to see multiple attacks, smoking engines and lost elevators. Same holds true for the BOB events. Fighters hate being killed by laser otto and bombers hate being killed by the one shot ping.

You can park a bomber on the runway and have a CM perfectly line up on you at a set distance and hose away. That is how I think buff tuff should be tested. No wavering of either fighter or bomber. You fire by quick taps on the keyboard. Each tap is the smallest burst of the gun enabled. You can also have the log running to record the damage each tap makes. This should then be cross indexed to the weapons file as well as the a\c damage file. Very tedious and time consuming but necessary to figure out how as system as arcane and obscure as WBs is, works.

But you need volunteers, time to be had and a will to make it right. Then the baby is crying, I drink too much and hollywood's hottie has a new movie out :)

Its all good; we are not the newest hottest flashiest sim game out there but we have been doing this forever, we are hardcores and we love what and who we simulate. But most important of all is we all want the same thing and we will work it out.

I think the small team of testers has had about all we can stand of shooting at target drones and each other.

I already KNOW the behavior of the DM in controlled conditions. There were lots of mentions of the difference in a "live load " test as the missing ingredient.

And we see the same thing with everything else. No matter the level of small scale controlled testing done, the arena always yields new information.

That is the aim here. Get 15 human bombers in a formation and let folks have at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 pm 

gotta agree with dawgs here. Being INTIMATLY familiar with the dm's and such, and with all the controlled testing done in the TA for many many many nights. A live load test reveals mucho more. done all the small scale testing I can stand. Have shot guns, tracked their trajectories, read the files on their KE output ad naseum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm 

combat conditions! A part of this is also somewhat subjective. I have hit numbers spot on, but live arena combat loads revealed something quite different. I know it sounds subjective and perhaps corney, but you then wind up adjusting until people "feel" that its right. In combat there are so many variables, you cannot just always go by "hitting the numbers"....chance, connec,gunnery skills, bomber pilot skills, bomber pilot gunnery skill....all variables that cannot be fully accounted for

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:19 pm 

Will try and make it.
Hope you can get some good data to help and balance the playing field as best you can--rather than a training session on where the "Sweet" spots are to bring down a B17.
Heck-- be just like a real S3 for me. Low OTTO and I'm the Turkey. :P

Salute,
Gofly
AG-8-Doolittle Raiders
Member, Nomads
WBs 2004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 am 

Gofly wrote:
Will try and make it.
Hope you can get some good data to help and balance the playing field as best you can--rather than a training session on where the "Sweet" spots are to bring down a B17.
Heck-- be just like a real S3 for me. Low OTTO and I'm the Turkey. :P

Good data gathered. B17 rear PK's biggest issue for which I have already tweaked and will test to see if its better. Lots of video and lots of things to discuss out of the videos.

Plus it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am 

So, whatcha propose for the b-17 ?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next