View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm 

This Thanksgiving break gives us more than a whole week to plan. I think it would be a good idea to stay at lower alts as the 109 performs well at high alts. :(

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 pm 

Salute Comrades!

Maybe we should go north. Some tanks up there, and some heavy tgts that will take lottsa bombs. OTOH, LW has only one close field that may not handle the Knights and their beloved JU-88's - F182, which doesn't look large enuf when I see the map legend and read the rules.

We have two good fields there and a smaller one 20 miles south.

The twin-engine folks are restricted to certain tgts, so that's a problem. The Mossie has no Nord, so it's basic defuse and/or dive bombing. It's fast, so might be able to get away from pesky LW lites. 'zoo's excellent bomb effects research shows the 500 pounders are decent for point tgts, and 1000 pounders better for collateral damage ( think acks).

Looking at points, the biggies ARE NOT TACTICAL, despite the alleged setting of this series. LW may go after southern tgts, but seems to me that many points are up north.

Southern tgts could be good for strikers heading deep, but the DAR at F21 will see them early. I thinking F221, 49, 51 and F7. Could be a player if we get that DAR at F21 early, and it's a tuff one.

Comments?

Comrade Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:42 pm 

From what I've seen last frame and the one before, you are correct beav....the Yak fairs well at low alt and the LA5 is an A/G machine anyway.
I really wanted to keep all the lites down low last frame, but it got lost in the muck.

pappyb
CO 4th FG
http://echoesmarketing.com/4thfg/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:09 am 

No one in 127 Wing got above 2,500', most of the time we were under 300' ;)

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:25 am 

If we go North, there are multiple targets just over the border, and NOE could approach them over water.

Large Port #73
Industry #16
Small Field #182
These are all just NE of 8.5 Cross

Just North of that tight cluster is a Heavy Fortification #148

There is a Landing Strip #263 about 15 miles west of group. The next closest LW field is a small field 50 miles away.

To get to 263 you will probably need to pass a light arty battery #295 and some freighters #13.

We have a large field #4 so we could fly B25's and several smaller fields where IL2's and Hvy P39's could launch from. :D

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 am 

Well it plain to see after the firs 2 frames.. we cannot line up run up the middle.so i plan on hitting them where they are not.make them either pull there fighters off front having to leave there own strike groups or lose rear bases .im also going to ask all buffs and strike groups to fly in the weeds . please dont Lolly gag over tgt. drop youre loads and get out back in the weeds. with 20 mile grids it doesnt take long for the enemy to respond .. smart pilots using good intersept tactics you can be cut off pretty quickly...P-39 is a very good strike AC that big cannon in the nose is wicked on ground tgt's

after reading Jabo report and looked at score .. Gents we need point . field closures is were we will get them. i plan on going after points..

N tgt's 263 is a one pass closure base and good points and is very approachable from the SW and off enemy dar.. only 1 hard tgt there the hanger.

182 has the only foward dar in the N. but i dont think well be able to over power them at point of attack would love for the dar to go down.... Blind the butts :lol: i want them chasing smoke plumes ..

i also really like 184 .. looking at it from the twr.. doest seem like a whole lot of tgt's .it also has only dar in that sector

south tgt's i really like the 3 bases 48 261 292.. 261 is air field it has 7 soft tgt for closure.. 48 is a small port 292 might be the hardest it a coasal arty

Besea

C.O. American Eagles
besea@cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:34 am 

Salute!

The F182 can be had, but there's an 88 or two north of there by that huge factory/industrial tgt.

Problem with Mitchells is we are best using Nord. And no tail gun. But we shall see what develops with our thots and planning.

On frame 1 the Nomads got almost half the tgts at F182, including the DAR.. The 88 was brutal, and we did not coord with the lites well enuf and were nailed upon egress by LW lites.

The LW may be looking north as well. Our best medium field down south for them to hit is F25, and it is deep and has lottsa DAR coverage.

Up north, that DAR at F182 is crucial to our success. So I would tgt it first using Mitchells at 9,000 feet or try to get in with strikers while avoiding that 88 near the industrial complex.

I would not expect many LW at F184 or F263, and the twin-engine buffs cannot hit them per the steeekeeeng rules.

Gotta think about a plan, folks.

Comrade Gums sends...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm 

Well whats the point then..if a twin engine aircraft cannot b or att...ack a air field with a concrete run way is totally BS...I give. Think I was disgruntled with S3 last scenerio...this one just adds
Ore fuel not to ever do a scdnerio again

Besea

C.O. American Eagles
besea@cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 pm 

From the rules:
Quote:
8. Squad Basing - each airfield has a limited amount of squad steps as well as types it may base during a frame. Squads may move to a new airfield only if there are enough steps and types available to move there during play. Larger squads may have to base at two or more airfields during play. Squads that sign-off for the night free up their base to be used by other squads.

landing strips = 1 step(only single-engine a/c)
grass fields = 2 steps(only single-engine a/c)
small fields = 2 steps(only single-engine a/c)
medium fields = 3 steps(only twin-engine a/c)
large fields = 4 steps(all a/c types)
9. Shipping - There will be a large number of static ships in the terrain near ports. These will not fire on attacking a/c. Various AI shipping from both sides will be moving or anchored throughout coastal areas. These ships will fire on attacking a/c and this includes freighters as well which are now armed. All a/c types may attack AI shipping. AI shipping will be in every frame in the general area of the map icons and will not respawn during a frame.

10. Tanks - there will be four large groups of AI tanks to be attacked indicated on the map. Each will consist of 8 tanks of a specific type. Once all 8 of one type are destroyed during a single frame they are removed from play for the series. AI tanks are tough to destroy. All a/c types may attack AI tanks.

11. Ground Targets - this is a tactical and operational terrain with 300 fields of 27 different types. There is quite a variation in fields and many attached bridges, of three different types. So offline recce is crucial to successful closure of fields. Equally important is assigning the proper a/c type to the proper target location. Single-engine a/c may attack any ground target in an attempt to close it. Twin-engine a/c may only attack the following field location types;

AIRFIELD, LARGE(RDF)
AIRFIELD, MEDIUM(RDF)
AIRFIELD, SMALL(RDF)
AIRFIELD, GRASS(RDF)
SUPPLY DEPOT, SMALL
SUPPLY DEPOT, LARGE
RAILYARD, SMALL
RAILYARD, LARGE
PORT, SMALL
PORT, LARGE
INDUSTRY, CITY(RDF)
INDUSTRY
OIL REFINERY, SMALL
OIL REFINERY, LARGE
OIL FIELD
HYDROELECTIC DAM
COASTAL DEFENCES, HEAVY(RDF)

coolon
4th Fighter Group

formerly: -=Night Stalkers=- | 44th FS Vampires | Widowmakers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:07 pm 

Salute!

Yeah, Cool, we twin-engine folks are restricted.

So question is to go South or go North.

Our feeling is to go North due to the bases. Down South the closest buff field is F25.

Secondly, if a few DR and Nomads go in at medium alt we can take out the 88's and allow the low strikers to wreck havoc. There's also some fields further west of F182 that could be closed during the frame. That would force LW to fly from very far away.

I can tellya that when we are frame CO, we'll go north most likely. there's tank up there and some big points for the ports and factories and ...

Gums sends...

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next