View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm 

Well I had some false expectations for this series, and I'll take the blame on it as it was not fostered by anything other than use of the new interface and an actual FEBA.

We all know what we got, so I won't dwell there.

Here is what I was expecting.

A focused fight, at the tactical level based on the FEBA (forward edge of battle area) (although FEBA is now FLOT (forward edge of troops)). 109s supporting 110s and stuka's as they struck targets in support of the advancing troops and armor.
Defense would be after strikers, our troops/armor, and trying to avoid getting tangled up with the fighters.

In Hindsight this would have to be "structured" by the S3 crew. Assigning Axis to attack FXX, while Allied defended. The FEBA was determined..the fields were flashing....just needed the "direction" to ensure that is where the fight was going to occur. This also might have been a good chance to allow killed pilots to get in tanks and play a part in the ground war (one life there as well..or maybe more..depending on how the Janitors see it working out).

It would have been a deviation from the norm in how we do things in that the Janitors would dictate our AOR (Area of Operations), and allow the Frame CO's to devise their plan for tactical execution. Last frame was a close approximation of that....at least in the beginning:)

Thoughts? Opinions? Input? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 pm 

Salute! Horrido! Banzai!

Yeah, Dobs, some good ideas.

I ,too, expected a different level of play. Not to be, and the idea of Janitors assigning tgts may be a step too far.

- I would prefer the sides to announce to the Janitors their objectives so the critters could be positioned and let the other side figure out where the attack was happening.

- Really like the idea of letting the ghosts fly critters! We buff pukes have done this forever, and even if we can't gun, we can still be an observer in your plane for typical lookout duty. So letting the lites be ghosts appeals to me.

- Allow the sides to plan their own ground attack using the side's assigned critters. i.e. have critter "squads" that are spaced across the rear of the FLOT/FEBA/FSCL so you don't have 100% of them hitting one place at T+0. Once the clock starts they are free to mass and attack the desired enema position. Think 'raqi I

- None of the "fly every plane rules" with many types. Two types seems about right for a short scenario such as we had, but not 4 planes and 5 frames. Soon as we figured out the plane we had to switch.

- Too many points for killing buffs, heh heh. Also, tail seemed softer on the Ju-88 compared to last time I flew it. Agree with many about effectiveness of the guns and cannons.

- Barracks were way too tough compared to hangars.

- We have to accept no new FEBA until mid-week, unlike the traditional ETO scenario where BDA is fairly clear the next morning. It's a tactical scenario, although an overall strategy is recommended.

- NO FLASHING MAP FIELDS!!! PLAYER DTF'S DO NOT WORK WHEN THE JANITOR SCRIPT DOES "MAPCLEAR" We need those DTF maps for overall planning and coordination, not just buff runs.

All I can tink of now. Least we tried something new and different.

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm 

S3 is now small enough that a single point of contact is all that can be reliably fun.

We are down to real world single fighter group numbers on each side.

A much more limited scope of operations would be appropriate.

This past series could have been limited to a single area of offensive operation.

And it may be time to get away from single life events but only if we can get some new code.

I think it would be fun to limit the actual airframes/vehicles instead of the pilots because of our low numbers and make that the focus of the strategy.

We used to have code to do what I shall describe.

Imagine the frame CO deciding where to base his limited assets for the frame. They would be represented by AI units parked where he based them until used by a human player.

Destroy them on the ground and they are gone. Base them in the rear and they have to be flown to the front.

Land them at an airfield and you can use it again. Ditch it and its gone for the frame.

So each side starts the frame with X number of type Y and can choose where to base them. The janitors declare the OPS area and specify the objectives. The results determine the points and/or numbers available for the next frame.

Lives could be limited to 2 or 3 to keep folks from abusing the available supply.

Just need to clean up the old code and turn it back on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:00 pm 

Well, I am not sure where you want the S3's to go, but right now the Knights are frustrated and considering not continuing after this season is over. I really would like to see the game to go back to the good old days where it was really fun and challenging.

Now days we are test pilots and having rules that change on the fly. I have guys that only fly the S3's and it's all I can do is keep the, from quitting. The Janitors in the past have down a great job in coming up with ideas, but there appears to be a new sheriff in town that wants to change that.

Right now, I am on the fence and deciding what is best for my guys. I know one thing. I don't want the janitors dictating to me what targets to hit or what area. You take the fun and skill of a bomber pilot away. If that is the case, just use AI's to do that.

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:12 pm 

Janitors won't pick targets....they pick the AOR.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:31 pm 

Also I believe that the maps need to be cut down in size for the AOs until numbers increase again.

Jugggo
中佐
Chūsa
Commander
Tainan Kokutai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:14 pm 

Just a single voice in the wilderness here, but I do not want to see player occupied GV's in the S3's. On a similar note, I dislike doing away with "1 life to live", although if it means that people would be more inclined to engage in a fight rather than circle safely above it, (or sitting in towers), then I could most likely be persuaded that it would be better for the game. I can see where asset based participation might work, but I don't think it would work, because of all of the players with suicidal tendencies of certain "capture the flag at all cost", or "point straight at them and shoot" types. Having to "retire" for the night because you fly for an HO merge has a lasting sting. Pilots with suicidal tendencies will not value limited assets, they will gladly use them up until they've exhausted the supply of aircraft, then say it's BS that there aren't more airframes available.

Well.. it was my 2 cents. I've put em both in. Best I can hope for is that somebody will give me a penny for my thoughts so at least I'll only lose 50% of my investment on the post. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 am 

Salute!

Do not know where you have been for almost 18 years, Dazed.

I have seen very few players that value their score or points or whatever at the expense of helping their side win the tide of battle.

I have gone on record years ago re: critters. However, they are here, and we must deal with them. If the critters are gonna play a role, then we must deal with them.

I do not want more than one life in your plane or critter. I simply wanna let folks fly/drive a little longer in the frame. If the scenario does not have critters, then we have same rules as now.

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 am 

Happy trails...
Wolf
XO 352nd Fighter Group (virtual)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:57 am 

I rather expected the same thing =dobs=. Thursday night events followed the pattern of the fight being focused on the FEBA......EVERY time...and for any squad who was organized it followed the pattern of ...fighter sweep to establish air superiority, followed by strike in support of ground offensive.
Concept was good anyway, but what dictated the difference in gameplay tweenst the two arenas?
1. Field target layout for ETO terrain?...to scattered? To many targets? Tac field layout not conducive to a realistic achievable goal for strike forces?
2. To many targets required for closure?
3. hardness of targets?
4. only 1 life? Which DOES change a combat mindset.
5. a S3 concept of hitting them where they aint for points only?

It was a god idea to try, and perfect for a tactical concept such as Fall Gelb. Mayhap not so great for a strategic concept like going to Berlin for example.
Not saying that any of the above is wrong.....but just asking ourselves questions as to what changed....
Its like...the system was there...but no one took advantage of it to actually push the lines forward ina true representation of Fall Gelb?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next