View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:03 pm 

So I guess no one wants the AAA shooting at friend and foe alike?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:37 am 

Yes - I do.

Can you set params for ack without having to change the field country? With my limited experience messing with setfield code there has to be some way to get friendly ack to shoot at all planes in the area IF there are enemy in the area. The reason I am stressing IF is because the ack should not fire if there are no enemy around (as an example if we were rolling out of a large field at Herndon, the ack should NOT shoot, but if there was an attack at Herndon, then the ack would shoot.) Is it possible to tie in the ack to the same code that determines what color dot to render on colored radar?

Ni Yen after too much gobblers.

~S~
~Sakai - 坂井
daimyosakai@gmail.com
Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:01 am 

I'm all for that the ack can accidently hurt friendlies just as a dfused bomb or flying through a wingmans burst, but NOT targeting friendly aircrafts on purpose. This is because there is no way for the ack to be intelligent enough to understand when it is a confusing mix-up of planes and when it's not, even if only shooting when cons around. Just imagine the 23rd landing or taking off, when a single enemy scout appears, and the ack just goes bananas and slaughters half the friendly squad.

+ in ww2 hopefully most guncrews were taught how to distinguish between friends n foes even though some hotheads fired at anything in the confusing state of battle.

/Robert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 am 

Robert wrote:
I'm all for that the ack can accidently hurt friendlies just as a dfused bomb or flying through a wingmans burst, but NOT targeting friendly aircrafts on purpose. This is because there is no way for the ack to be intelligent enough to understand when it is a confusing mix-up of planes and when it's not, even if only shooting when cons around. Just imagine the 23rd landing or taking off, when a single enemy scout appears, and the ack just goes bananas and slaughters half the friendly squad.

+ in ww2 hopefully most guncrews were taught how to distinguish between friends n foes even though some hotheads fired at anything in the confusing state of battle.

/Robert

This. I'd rather that the ack was able to damage friend and foe alike while targeting the enemy. While a good idea, the above scenario would override any benefits that would be achieved and make it far more controversial than the effort is worth.

<S>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:49 am 

In regards to the forthcoming event. Bomber streams.

How about a no fly zone of 5 miles radius around selected target fields for defenders ? - no aerial attacks on bombers can take place in this zone.

Fighters can only attack bombers by intercepting them either on the way to target or on the way home from target, but not directly over the target.
Once bombers are in the "5 mile target zone radius", defenders must break off attacks and temporarily leave it up to their heavy flak guys until the bombers re-emerge.

Prevents defenders simply capping the target
It puts the emphasis on find and intercept the bombers
Eliminates risk of death to defenders from their own heavy FLAK batteries

Simple yet effective.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:35 am 

Todzilla wrote:
Robert wrote:

/Robert

This. I'd rather that the ack was able to damage friend and foe alike while targeting the enemy. While a good idea, the above scenario would override any benefits that would be achieved and make it far more controversial than the effort is worth.

<S>

I would agree with this for most series but not this one in particular. Also, the script could be written to prevent the described doomsday scenario in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Berlin will have AI AAA defences as well as the regular terrain flak. ETO is notorious for terrain flak not firing especially at the large airfields.
I would expect Berlin to really light up when the bomber stream hits it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:29 pm 

Jabo, P-38Ls?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 pm 

Salute!

I like the idea of changing the field to neutral once the ack opens up. I really like that. A long time ago we had a series with "neutral" fields that would hose away on everyone that flew closeby.

From personal experience, the Vee avoided the inner 5 or 10 miles or so around Bullseye ( Hanoi) when we had a grope of mudbeaters rolling in. As good as they were, the gunners could still make a mistake and hit a "friendly". Ditto for Berlin, Hamburg, et al to best of my recollection.

So seems a script could change a field to neutral once the ack opens up or some other criteria is met. Would that make the acks target everyone??? That is the question, but I think we could test it with some help from a CM, then implement the procedure for this series.
++++++

I agree with Dawg about haze being bad and having trouble navigating at 30K using pilotage. OTOH, what about the days when a cold front had rolled in and you could see 100 friggin' miles? For a month or two west of the Annamese mntns when the monsoon was piling up crud on the east side, the haze was so bad we actually used the VOR/TACAN and our groundmap radar to get on initial approach at Korat. Seems the Laos were burning off fields for the next opium crop, heh heh. Otherwise, we could see the field from 20 miles out ( unlke WB with no haze!!!). To this day, when at a window seat from 30K, I can see a truck on the highway ( 20/20 on my good eye).

The latest series had a great terrain that we could use for navigation by pilotage ( except for same problem acquiring a field/human structure from more than a few miles away - contrast problem IMHO).

I am not the only pilot here that complained about using pilotage. Columbo, PappyB, DeWolf, Dobs (prolly) and others echo my own feelings. Without a good map that shows elevation and such, you're screwed on the old terrains.

The VOR doofer was a super addition to the sim, and some of we mudbeaters used it to fly NOE over water to hit coastal tgts in one series when we had no GPS display. If you are serious, you have to have a plotter or other tool to read the reciprocal bearing ( some folks can do this in their head). The lites don't like that, and I'll refrain from typical buff insults, heh heh. Good thing about VOR for lites is you can tune in your base and have a heading to use to escape if separated from your flight. Sheesh, ya want realism, then use the tools available, huh?

Lastly, the DTF files we have been building the last 4 or 5 years can also be of value. Squads can build their own to show RTB paths from planned CAP or sweep areas and so forth.

Gums opines...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6