All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: WWII Arena
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:20 pm 

I'm thinking maybe put the Solomon Islands terrain up on WWII also. I don't know about anybody else, but that was a fun map in the S3. This will give us the opportunity to do both cv and land ops. If nobody has any objections, I say we break in the wwii officially Fri night. Regardless of what map is up. We can officially start at 7pm central US. Depending on how many show up, we can establish boundaries of the map at that time.

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm 

Here is what we have so far guys.

The Main should not be changed.

Password Protect WWII with the option to change the PW as needed. I believe the squads can police the arena for gate crashers.

Squads only. Guests may fly with a squad, but may not fly rogue flights. Nobody will be turned down as long as they agree to the rules of the arena.

Mirror the S3 settings.

No kill shooter.

No aircraft dar inflight. Dar is limited to twr and GCI. Twr dar also limited in scope, GCI should have blind spots.

Reduced ground vehicle use or none at all.

Squads will rotate axis/ally weekly or as many times as CO's see fit.

Squads will monitor inappropriate buffer usage and discipline members internally. If members continue to misuse buffer, they will be placed on a 24 hour arena ban.

Each Squad will need someone to have basic permissions in that arena (trainer or CM if they have one, CO or designated Rep if CO doesn't fly enough to warrant having them).
Should be able to enable/disable field use.
Should be able to enable/disable plane use.

Respawn time of pilots should be adjustable. A dead pilot may have to wait an undetermined amount of time before he/she can respawn.
Should be able to "remove" someone from the arena if they are not "conforming to the rules" and they don't have a CO to prohibit such behavior.

Everything else needs to be in the hands of CM's to prevent screwing things up from inexperience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 pm 

Bad idea having a slug of people with perms in there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 pm 

I'm not sure I'm a fan of a strict "S3 Setup" for the WWII Arena. I do like the idea of S3 damage models, flight model, gun lethality, etc. being the same. And I like the idea of the WWII arena being "S3 inspired", but if we mirror it too much I think that would diminish the draw of the S3.

For example, this last S3 where the fighters were F4F4's vs. A6M3's, maybe add in F4F3's and A6M2's. Or run a ToD in the WWII arena that is based on the theater that the S3 is based upon, where if the S3 is PTO based then only PTO based fighters are in the tour where Corsairs and Franks are added later.

I also would rather not see the same terrain being used as the S3. So if the S3's are based in the Solomons the WWII arena is the Philippines; the S3 is Tobruk then the WWII is Tunisia, etc. Something that is theater similar but not identical, otherwise IMO the S3 loses its unique appeal. I like the freshness of the S3 each week, but if we're doing it every single day during the week it is going to become more of a grind than something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:54 pm 

Sorry I had to drop off TS early last night but RL grabbed me for awhile. This is a real good start and I'm looking forward to getting this going. I'm asking all of my squad members to drop in here and check out this thread.

<S>

Oberst Briar

JG51 XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 am 

=vslp= wrote:
Bad idea having a slug of people with perms in there.

I'm thinking the likelihood of that happening is very slim anyway. I am just summarizing what has been suggested in the various posts. We will have to weed out, and fine tune what is practical from what is not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 am 

Todzilla wrote:
I'm not sure I'm a fan of a strict "S3 Setup" for the WWII Arena. I do like the idea of S3 damage models, flight model, gun lethality, etc. being the same. And I like the idea of the WWII arena being "S3 inspired", but if we mirror it too much I think that would diminish the draw of the S3.

For example, this last S3 where the fighters were F4F4's vs. A6M3's, maybe add in F4F3's and A6M2's. Or run a ToD in the WWII arena that is based on the theater that the S3 is based upon, where if the S3 is PTO based then only PTO based fighters are in the tour where Corsairs and Franks are added later.

I also would rather not see the same terrain being used as the S3. So if the S3's are based in the Solomons the WWII arena is the Philippines; the S3 is Tobruk then the WWII is Tunisia, etc. Something that is theater similar but not identical, otherwise IMO the S3 loses its unique appeal. I like the freshness of the S3 each week, but if we're doing it every single day during the week it is going to become more of a grind than something to look forward to.

I am just spearheading this venture. It is my hope that all the CO's will get together and vote on what they want the WWII arena to reflect. In the end, it will be the CO's who make this happen and keep it going. <S>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:37 am 

With regard to mirroring S3 maps/rides, I can see where it could be counter productive to have the exact same map, and the exact same a/c types.

I think the suggestion to use a theater similar map is a good one. I believe the main reason for some wanting the same map is so that if the S3 will require carrier operations, (as an example), it would be nice to have carrier ops available in the WWII arena at the same time for practice purposes.

As far as what a/c are available, again, at least having the same a/c as the S3 would be nice. You can have more types, but at least include the S3 tour of duty rides as well. In other words, not limited to only the S3 rides, but do be sure to include the S3 rides at all times.

It is somewhat funny that a LOT of what so many people say they enjoy is, (and has been) available to us already in the form of the WWII arena. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves last night, and the only real change that took place was that people got together and decided to go fly in the WWII arena instead of the main. Hello! It's starting to sound more and more like all we really need are a few server configuration and permissions tweaks.

Very much looking forward to the kind of flying and fighting that we experienced last night!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:18 am 

-dazed wrote:
With regard to mirroring S3 maps/rides, I can see where it could be counter productive to have the exact same map, and the exact same a/c types.

I think the suggestion to use a theater similar map is a good one. I believe the main reason for some wanting the same map is so that if the S3 will require carrier operations, (as an example), it would be nice to have carrier ops available in the WWII arena at the same time for practice purposes.

As far as what a/c are available, again, at least having the same a/c as the S3 would be nice. You can have more types, but at least include the S3 tour of duty rides as well. In other words, not limited to only the S3 rides, but do be sure to include the S3 rides at all times.

Exactly. <S>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:06 am 

-dazed wrote:

It is somewhat funny that a LOT of what so many people say they enjoy is, (and has been) available to us already in the form of the WWII arena. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves last night, and the only real change that took place was that people got together and decided to go fly in the WWII arena instead of the main. Hello! It's starting to sound more and more like all we really need are a few server configuration and permissions tweaks.

Very much looking forward to the kind of flying and fighting that we experienced last night!

Let the CO's choose the map. Simple.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next