View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:05 pm 

The arena will appear at 6 PM Eastern and will feature the approximate plane set for Operation Crossbow.

I plan to leave the arena visible all night.

V1's will be flying from France to London at various speeds and altitudes.

Icons will be S3.

There WILL be inflight radar but it will be 30 miles and will have a 3 mile hole surrounding your airplane.

The PURPOSE of this event is to test V1 as AI, test players ability to intercept and shoot them down and to practice in the next airframes.

Blitz Terrain (which is NOT the terrain for the next S3 but its close)

Questions welcome.

Last edited by dawger on Sat May 21, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:27 am 

Sounds like fun.
Looking forward to the first V1 is nerfed/porked whine :D

TAINAN KAIGUN KOKUTAI
"When I drive a car on an express way, sometimes I measure the distance to another car about 50 meters in front of me, thinking that oh, the shooting would be deadly."
Toshio Hijikata: Genzan/203 Ku Reisen pilot 2005

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:30 am 

Any idea what time the arena will disappear, Sat night?
Do the V1's have an airstart and will they actually hit something, if nothing else but the ground, near London?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:43 am 

split wrote:
Any idea what time the arena will disappear, Sat night?
Do the V1's have an airstart and will they actually hit something, if nothing else but the ground, near London?

The V1's airstart in France and fly to England.

They will crash in London. They have targets but V1's are inaccurate weapons.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:21 pm 

I was just in the test arena, then Dewolf came in.

If you meet them at level flight, you can't catch them.

I was at 6,500' and one was passing below me, executed a right turn, boost to max and dove. Opened up at D6 and the V1 went into evasive action :shock:

It was diving, climbing, turning left and right (only moderate turns), but I managed to get it at D4 and flamed it, but it took 67% of my ammo. I took 60% fuel so I was able to get quite fast.

The V1's need to fly straight and level till they make their decent on London.

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:05 am 

Beaver wrote:
I was just in the test arena, then Dewolf came in.

If you meet them at level flight, you can't catch them.

I was at 6,500' and one was passing below me, executed a right turn, boost to max and dove. Opened up at D6 and the V1 went into evasive action :shock:

It was diving, climbing, turning left and right (only moderate turns), but I managed to get it at D4 and flamed it, but it took 67% of my ammo. I took 60% fuel so I was able to get quite fast.

The V1's need to fly straight and level till they make their decent on London.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:28 am 

I had similar results to Beaver, BUT I was never able to get close enough to a V1 to fire on it. (That was after an hour of trying and, unlike a S3, I had inflight radar) The one I happened to "think" I could fire on also took WARPING evasive action.
At this point, if I were an Allied Commander, I would just assume that all V-1s would reach their targets and not bother to assign anyone to "intercept" them. They are sort of like the venerable Night Stalkers Squad, "If you see a V-1, it's too late."
The Spit IX is certainly NOT the proper airplane for the job. It cannot catch one.

Thanks for the opportunity to find out that trying to get one is fruitless.

EDIT: Apparently the aircraft choice varies from field to field. The field I, obviously erroneously, selected ONLY had the Spit IX available, which made me believe that it was the only a/c available for the "test". Results of others may vary.

Happy trails...
Wolf
XO 352nd Fighter Group (virtual)

Last edited by dewolf on Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:33 am 

10:25 pm,
Macintosh
Updated warbirds before trying to login to the V1 arena.
Selecting the V1 arena WBs asks if I want to check for updates.
Selected yes (although I had just updated) and all files were up to date already.
Selected arena again, asks same question. I select No and am sent to the Arena selection screen.
Vicious circle.

Can't get into the arena and obviously others have. Weird.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 am 

dewolf wrote:
I had similar results to Beaver, BUT I was never able to get close enough to a V1 to fire on it. (That was after an hour of trying and, unlike a S3, I had inflight radar) The one I happened to "think" I could fire on also took WARPING evasive action.
At this point, if I were an Allied Commander, I would just assume that all V-1s would reach their targets and not bother to assign anyone to "intercept" them. They are sort of like the venerable Night Stalkers Squad, "If you see a V-1, it's too late."
The Spit IX is certainly NOT the proper airplane for the job. It cannot catch one.

Thanks for the opportunity to find out that trying to get one is fruitless.

EDIT: Apparently the aircraft choice varies from field to field. The field I, obviously erroneously, selected ONLY had the Spit IX available, which made me believe that it was the only a/c available for the "test". Results of others may vary.

This be the realm of the Tiffy.

Just based on wiki:
V-1: 400mph @2-3,000ft
Spit IXe: 404mph @21,000ft
Typhoon IB(the one in the game): 419mph @19,000ft

<S>
Zinhwk

HADES Flight
475th FG (v)
zinhwk@fly-jg77.com

Windows 10.1
AMD A10 6800K Black Edition (OC 4.2Ghz)
16 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 770Ti
1TB SATA Western Digital "Blue" HDD
24" LG LED 1080p
CH Controls

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 pm 

SPINDZ and I had to do some very last minute tweaks to the General running the V1's so the live event was the very first test of these last minute changes using an ONLINE General.

And that is why we test. AI behave differently ONLINE and OFFLINE and even on different machines.

All of the AI were programmed to fly at 340 mph and were within 15 mph of that at all times.

While they seemed to be evasive, they really were just porpoising pretty radically. The FM for the V1 is very simplistic as it was in real life. It had no ailerons and could not maneuver much.

When I fly the V1 manually it is capable of smooth,level flight without being capable of any serious maneuver, as intended. Tested OFFLINE as AI it flew smoothly and struck its target fairly inaccurately, tested online with a GENERAL that had not been updated, they flew smoothly but would not strike targets.

After updating the general and then correcting a mistake I made, they were found to porpoise more than I would desire.

That is the major bug that needs correcting at the moment.

It is also possible the 3D Model needs a correction.

I was able to spot and kill several V1's in the course of the event but I have had the benefit of practice, which is also part of the purpose for these test events. The first time you try to find and intercept then kill these things it is very difficult. It generally requires a long shallow dive and a good lead turn to be able to keep the tiny blinking dot in sight with enough speed to catch up to it.

It isn't supposed to be easy the first time out the box.

I will endeavor to correct the errors in the V1 behavior but I strongly encourage anyone flying Allied in the next S3 to take advantage of any opportunity to practice intercepting them. It does get easier with practice.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next