All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mysterious demise
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 am 

Unexplained death.
No explosion, I just get booted to the twr. Nobody saw an explosion, I just disappeared. There was no disconnect because I was still talking with the guys on TS. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/omOncKDvHSg

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

Post subject: Re: Mysterious demise
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 am 

The TS Server and the "Game" server are likely not the same machine. Pretty much everyone knows that I happen to disco FREQUENTLY, and our private TS server always remains active enough for me to advise those who don't tune 100 that I've left the building.

Happy trails...
Wolf
XO 352nd Fighter Group (virtual)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:02 am 

Kelly wrote:
Unexplained death.
No explosion, I just get booted to the twr. Nobody saw an explosion, I just disappeared. There was no disconnect because I was still talking with the guys on TS. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/omOncKDvHSg

Exact same thing happened to me in the Crimea terrain and at least one other squaddie while strafing ships. Collision bubble above the mast on those ships is 2 to 3 times higher than it actually appears. 99% sure you died of a collision with the mast even though you were in fact well above it visually.

Anyone able to look at this? Seems like a bug we'd want fixed if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:29 pm 

dewolf wrote:
The TS Server and the "Game" server are likely not the same machine. Pretty much everyone knows that I happen to disco FREQUENTLY, and our private TS server always remains active enough for me to advise those who don't tune 100 that I've left the building.

On closer study the buffer states that "Your chute has failed". So, this may very well be a glitch on my end and not necessarily WBs. However, I'm not sure what would cause that, as I use a Saitek X52 Pro and my bail button is the default keyboard enter key x3 which is not mapped to my stick. I went into FreeFlight and tried to duplicate the bail with various button combinations without success. Has anybody experienced random bails before? This is the first time it has happened to me. Are there any key combinations other than "Enter" that would emulate the enter press? That question is for you higher tech guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm 

Kelly, I don't know if I was running Action! at the time of your death or not. I will check when I get home. If I have a recording, it may give us another look at the buffer. Seems like I remember seeing somebody killed by ack, but I don't remember who.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm 

This may well be a combination of my stick and WBs settings. Having looked at the key mapping settings in WarBirds there are 2 eject commands. The first which is what I have always used is Enter x3. The second which I was not aware of, and believe is the suspect command is "Ctrl B". The likelihood of my hitting Enter 3 times in a row with my stick are zero, but I do have "Ctrl, Alt, 1 thru 6" set as TS channels, I also have other buttons with the Ctrl set to it in one fashion or another. So in all likelihood, at any given moment, I may be using the Ctrl button. As for "B", that's your secondary gun. I cleared the "Ctrl B" from Warbirds mapping and believe this should resolve that problem from ever happening again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 pm 

Salute!

Gotta tellya, Kelly, I have seen many buffers eject due to the default key code.

So we instructed all new 305th troops to delete the default command and use "cntrl-B times 3". I used it last night when a Zeke nailed me.

Gums...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 am 

Or you may have hit a mast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 pm 

reviewing my Action! recording, ACK was credited with the kill of Kelly. Our squad was about 2 minutes behind Kelly. We were seeing smoke from the ships being hit, but could not see any "dots" involved at the time that the buffer recorded Kelly's death to ack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm 

some of the static ships fire AA.

Prior to the start of frame 1 I was in the S3 arena and torpedoed a destroyer (group of 4 moving)
the destroyer blew up but there was still AAA firing from the smoke / flame cloud.... even as I flew off.

coolon
4th Fighter Group

formerly: -=Night Stalkers=- | 44th FS Vampires | Widowmakers

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next