Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:16 pm 

The following AAR was written by coolon (tks to him for that)

Night Stalkers Frame 3 AAR
Target: F182 (small airfield)
Orders: Wait for Nomads to kill AA then quickly destroy the radar there. follow up with remaining targets there.
Pilots: Farout, Mtdew, Houndg & Coolon
Airframe & Base: Mosquito VI out of F190

We waited in tower for the nomads. After hearing that they were going to be delayed and seeing the Luftwaffe in mass over our target we began to think of other options. Contact reports showed the Germans gathering to the west so we decided to take this opportunity to fly in quick and do what we could. Nomads were alerted to the change in plans as we would strike the AA first.

The four of us flew over the water then north to the target, with friendlies overhead we were able to kill the AA and all of the rest of the targets. As the closure was noted in the buffer we had to tell the nomads to shift targets (sorry).
After returning to base we had to wait as the mass of Germans came too close to our base for comfort. Finally we were able to roll and head south. We flew across the entire map, south then west to strike the small ports of 46 & 47. Contact reports confirmed that the entire luftwaffe was up north so we took our time and closed F46 before dropping remaining ordinance on F47.
Our long flight home was north over land then east across the bay. It was very unfortunate that we had to fly this way but we had to go back to our original base as there were none other that could take our twin engine fighter bombers. during the flight it was announced that the Doolittle raiders were standing down so we turned east and headed for F25. Unfortunately as we crossed the shoreline on the eastern side we flew across the German picket lines of planes. Called out by spotters or popping up on radar it didn’t matter as the 109s came diving down upon us. We engaged all the power we could but lost our trailer (Houndg) then Mtdew clipped the ground as he was looking around frantically.
Farout and I were able to outrun the 109s and safely land at 25. Unfortunately we did not have enough time left to return to the port at 47 and the germans were all over the front lines so we stood down for the night.

Results were positive as we closed a small airfield and a small port.
Lost 2 pilots.

Coolon
------------------------------------------------------

(Back to me)

Gums and the nomads.......sorry we didn't wait for you guys at 182 but the reports and positions of forces made it seem prudent to get there and out as quickly as possible. We could not have done it without the speed of the Mossie.

I think it sucks we get called out over our own freaking territory. Did the 109s not have enough low targets during the frame already? It's no wonder strike pilots continue to leave!

Colonel mt-dew
Commanding Officer
-=Night Stalkers=-
"If you see us, it's already too late"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm 

Wow! That was a pretty exciting narrative, COOLON, MT-DEW! Sounds like you made the right choice in getting into the action immediately. Well-done!

Darryl <S>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 pm 

Shutting down 182 and 263 with radar down at 182 is a big plus for us I hope next frame...good job getting that radar!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm 

Its pretty tough for the strikers.
I flew with the Nomads and we didn't manage to get more then 3 planes airborne together

When you got groups of 25+ enemy fighters being vectored to you often with alt, you have little chance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm 

=vslp= wrote:
Shutting down 182 and 263 with radar down at 182 is a big plus for us I hope next frame...good job getting that radar!

They didn't close 263, 127 VVS had all but 1 plane left after our first sortie and as a couple were trying to sneak back for the last 109, someone else got it.

You should have asked if there were any LW in the South, we were attacking the tanks at 141 with 4 of us and got bounced by 7 or so 109's just as you closed 46, I guess we distracted them for you :D

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 am 

it was bad timing when you vectored to 25..those 109's started 2 grids away wasnt heading south for you the RCAF was their tgt. for hitting tanks at 141 and had egressed out of the area minutes before you crossed that line of flight ..
i <S> you guys nice way to think ahead staying active and productive

Besea

C.O. American Eagles
besea@cox.net

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ]