Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: S3 1000 lb bomb stats.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 pm 

Tested the 1000 lb GP bomb ( 1875 attack points ). Tests were conducted in S3 arena for accuracy more targets were added that are large enough for the 1000 but too large for 500. Also tested some tougher targets that went down under 2000 lber but should not be able to be destroyed by a 1000.

The more I fly in this arena the more impressed I am. I love the graghics and the variety of targets. Some how they programmed it so targets stand out at distances much how they should in real life. Thats a big + over the older areana. Lets hope theyv'e figured the fix for GV's in the main to also have realistic visual effects from the air. The 20 mile grids are perfect for flying and target separation.
Only problem I'm having is the terrain is much too dark and hard to see features in. It either needs to be lightened or bring back .gamma.

A suggestion for discussion is, if it goes to the main, that closure times will need to be increased. It is now so target rich (which I like) that there is no way a single or couple pilots will be able to close and capture in and hours time at all. ( With some exceptions. There are always exceptions.) Cudo's to the arena graphics designer who ever it is.. job well done.

Now to get back to the test.

PROBLEM: I dropped a bomb on the WH Warehouse ( 1500 damage points ) at port 71. Target was a direct hit but didn't go down. I then turned north to airfield 181 and dropped my other 1000 lbr on the WH Warehouse at the north end of that base. Again, No destruction.
FINDINGS: The damage model for Warehouse WH does not match the expected requirements of 1500 damage points to destruct. It needs to be adjusted down to, S3 OT class damage table 1 requirements.

For purposes of next weeks S3 I would recommend going after this target with a 2000 lb type damage ordinance. 2000 lber has demonstrated ability to take this target down. At least until its fixed.
( I suspect it was modeled to EF Warehouse 2 defence stregnth. )

The 500 lber ( 1173 ) should in theory (haven't tested it yet so we'll still call it theory, ) be able to take down targets 1173 defence points or less so I didn't test against those targets below that defence point factor unless of special intrest.

FINDINGS.
TARGET...................DEFENCE POINTS....RESULTS.. COMMENTS.
CB CARRIER/TRUCK: (200)....................DESTROYED.. Have this one since we had trouble in past. Think fixed now.
FD Fuel....................(400) ...................DESTROYED.. This is another problem child. seems ok.
CO Ready room.........(850)....................DESTROYED
EU Bunker................(1200)...................DESTROYED
RS Radar site............(1250)...................DESTROYED
EK RefinTank.............(1350)..................DESTROYED
AD Ammo.................(1500)...................DESTROYED
EV Light Tower..........(1500)...................DESTROYED
WH WAREHOUSE.......(1500)...................INTACT................! THIS IS THE PROBLEM CHILD.
RD Radar EM.............(1800)...................DESTROYED. This is the hardest target a 1000lber should be able to take down. Result verified bomb attack factor properly modeled.

I also attacked the following targets to check modeling against this bomb. HG hanger, ET Barracks, E4 MLine 2 (coastal fort), EF Warehouse. None of these should have been able to be destroyed by a 1000 lb bomb. ( NONE COULD ) I suspect the WH Warehouse has been erroniously set to the defence point model of the EF Warehouse.

LESSON: 1000 Lber MODELED VERY WELL. SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE DOWN ANY TARGET IN ITS RANGE
EXCEPTION: When attacking WH Warehouse. Use 2000 lber instead or combination of ordinace that equals 3700 lb or more.
Cheers
:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the excellent work. :)

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm 

Thanks. I hope all our attack or fighter bomber pilots can make use of in so we can kick their butts next week.

Also JABO to work out the little kinks in the arena/ sim.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm 

Nice job Blu! Appreciate all the work and time that you put into this making sure that targets are as advertised (not like the infamous Black Friday specials) :mrgreen:

S!

Sasquatch"
=sqtc=
23rd Fighter Group
CO

"You know you loaded too much fuel only when you see fire" :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:39 am 

Salute!

I highly recommend we move this to the Tech forum.

The "other guys" already use the "trick" of log to S3, then go directly to freeflight in same terrain.

Despite zoo's theory, I still believe we capture all the S3 settings, including the bomb damage and tgt hardness by loggin to S3, then simply using the "parachute" doofer to go free flight offlline.

I'll re-post this on another thread or two that 'zoo has posted.

So I tried the "trick", but couldn't fly, as my "death" was still not reset. Results for the fuel divisor?

Using the trick, despite my "death", and at 100% power in my Mitchell, I used 39.2 gal in 10 minutes in the Crimea "free flight" arena versus 33.4 gal in the Midway freeflight arena after logging out/restarting the sim and starting directly to the Midway free flight arena.

Fuel divisor worked damned close. So divide 33.4 by 39.2 and you get 0.852 !!!!

So at least the fuel divisor setting carries over using the "trick".

Several squads have been using the trick for years, so it's not "secret", and we should discuss this on the tech forum. We , and others, even use it during a frame to verify tgt BDA in case there's a problem later. Come back to S3 online and go for it.

Gums respectfully submits...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]