View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:05 pm 

Amazing job for first time with the unwashed masses!

Just some inputs

D-15 spacing between Squads would help keep guys from over-running.
Flights within Squads should be able to work with 1/2 that.

Since we are differing airframes, reference airspeeds vs power setting for the GROUP would help.

Food for thought:
Maybe a longer inbound leg on the 145 run in to allow for course corrections....say 20 miles. Lots of time to fix course and to fix formation that way.

Put buffs 500' above or below fighters and set them down track to arrive at "middle of the pack". Helps the buffs just worry about buff formation, and fighters just worry about fighters. Gotta be murder on the heavy guys trying to throttle adjust to compensate for fighters throttle adjustments.

Make a flow chart so guys know where their squadron is supposed to be. Get a fourship count from each squadron so the following squadron knows that xxx squadron has 3 fourships in front of them.

Dobs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm 

=dobs= wrote:
Amazing job for first time with the unwashed masses!

Just some inputs

D-15 spacing between Squads would help keep guys from over-running.
Flights within Squads should be able to work with 1/2 that.

Since we are differing airframes, reference airspeeds vs power setting for the GROUP would help.

Food for thought:
Maybe a longer inbound leg on the 145 run in to allow for course corrections....say 20 miles. Lots of time to fix course and to fix formation that way.

Put buffs 500' above or below fighters and set them down track to arrive at "middle of the pack". Helps the buffs just worry about buff formation, and fighters just worry about fighters. Gotta be murder on the heavy guys trying to throttle adjust to compensate for fighters throttle adjustments.

Make a flow chart so guys know where their squadron is supposed to be. Get a fourship count from each squadron so the following squadron knows that xxx squadron has 3 fourships in front of them.

Dobs

Also to be considered, I will be posting the cmeye clips I took during the practice. The a/c are dark, the terrain is dark. When looking top down most a/c all but disappear until they are in icon range. The same occurs when viewed from the side with a mountain in the background. Those of you who ran the acmcams know what I am talking about. Just keep that in mind when recording, try to keep sky in the background where possible on long shots. Up close is not really an issue. Other than that, It looked good.

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:12 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:37 pm 

You can "pace" the aircraft with your throttle in cmeye mode...might be neat to be just behind the 4th for the pull....or task someone with that.

Dobs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:39 pm 

Video from cockpit...if you want or need any video let me know and I'll dropbox you the file.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rwc11uIsF9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:07 pm 

Nice vid of the practice, Kelly.

I would greatly appreciate a script of some sort for the next practice. The script should include how you envision the flight order, speed, altitude, WPs and ground ops including the roll-out.

I have always wanted to do an 'Airshow' routine a-la "Tora Tora Tora" if you've ever seen their production. Very much scripted patterns.

Enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next practice and our live show. I think Pappy would be proud to say he is a part of our community.

~S~
~Sakai - 坂井
daimyosakai@gmail.com
Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm 

One more thing Kelly!

If you run an Nvidia card, go into the Nvidia Control panel, VIDEO section, and select adjust Video Color Settings.

Then select "WITH THE NVIDIA SETTINGS" and boost your gamma in the gamma tab.

Play with it some and you'll see the results when you run the game.

Might help with dark on dark.....

Dobs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:36 pm 

=dobs= wrote:
One more thing Kelly!

If you run an Nvidia card, go into the Nvidia Control panel, VIDEO section, and select adjust Video Color Settings.

Then select "WITH THE NVIDIA SETTINGS" and boost your gamma in the gamma tab.

Play with it some and you'll see the results when you run the game.

Might help with dark on dark.....

Dobs

I'll do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:47 pm 

Sakai wrote:
Nice vid of the practice, Kelly.

I would greatly appreciate a script of some sort for the next practice. The script should include how you envision the flight order, speed, altitude, WPs and ground ops including the roll-out.

I have always wanted to do an 'Airshow' routine a-la "Tora Tora Tora" if you've ever seen their production. Very much scripted patterns.

Enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next practice and our live show. I think Pappy would be proud to say he is a part of our community.

The script will have to come from Weis or Bombr. The practice was not my show. My plan is to be 5k heading East to West in a straight line. bombers will dictate speed as they are slower.
Squads will form up without overlapping. If your warping I will ask you to drop out. The 4th will be above and forward or rear of main group. I may try both. In either case, no turns, so keeping in formation will be easy for all. I will need access to the OFFTIME command so that the evening sun will be low on the horizon. All 4th should run acmcams, several will be positioned thru out the formation as needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 pm 

I was thinking about dropping the buffs down to 1000 feet after we drop our bombs and then to 500 feet when feet wet. The B17s need to have a smooth descent so not to break a part. I will be running at 95% with 10% gas and will call out more indicated airspeed when asked. I am also going to limit the comms to just myself so not to clutter up the channel.

I think the practice went great and look forward to another one tonight. Should we do an update before Sunday?

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next