Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: T3 Frame 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.squadselectseries.com

Frame 1 showed how outstanding player leadership makes the S3s happen. Guys grabbed and ran with the planning for this series even though the rules and layout was late in coming.
The original surprise attack was well timed by the IJN Kate strike force, the first battleship being hit and torps dropped at the same moment. The US roll was called and only the unfortunate WILDBIL was vulched on the runway of Hickam field. Most US forces either launched from the CVs or from fields farther away. Most of the battleships in Pearl were sunk but no other targets in the area were attacked. IJN zeros kept their Kate force relatively intact with some being intercepted and shot down well to the NW of Oahu. The fights here between A6M2s and P40Bs and F4F3s were well fought with the IJN claiming 27 and the US 22.

The second IJN sortie saw another medium altitude run with Kates carrying bombs. F5 was closed first followed by F4 with strafing A6M2s helping for the finish. Later a lone A6M2 strafed down the radar mast at F6 to close it. Fighters out of Wheeler tried to intercept but were held off by zeros but at least 6 Kates fell mainly after the run into F5. Again the fights were at lower levels and this time it was a draw with the US claiming 14 and the IJN 13 in the swirling dogfights.

The US claimed 18 Kates(5 player and 13 AI) and 18 A6M2s shotdown during the frame. The IJN claimed 8 F4F3s and 26 P40Bs during the night.

The IJN lead 173 to 131 after the first frame. Not to be expected given the surprise attack. Summary now updated.

Fields F4, F5 and F6 will be destroyed and closed before frame 2 begins. All targets rebuild at Pear but expect more AI shipping with flak to protect them. Flak settings will be slightly better to simulate US forces on full defensive posture. The brand new P36C will be available to start only from F12. Only the squad that bases there can choose to fly it or the P40B. F4F3s again only available from the CVs to start.

Good Luck

Post subject: Re: T3 Frame 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:58 am 

In regard to the P-36C, I read this to say that ONLY the Squad that is based on Field 12 would be able to fly that aircraft. It would be a violation of the Rules for a pilot to ferry a P-40 in there for the purpose of switching aircraft, correct? Can I transfer a couple of our guys to the Squad on F-12 until they join with the rest of the our Squad? Can they land and takeoff from any field of their choice if they survive the first sortie?

Happy trails...
Wolf
XO 352nd Fighter Group (virtual)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:47 pm 

dewolf wrote:
In regard to the P-36C, I read this to say that ONLY the Squad that is based on Field 12 would be able to fly that aircraft. It would be a violation of the Rules for a pilot to ferry a P-40 in there for the purpose of switching aircraft, correct? Can I transfer a couple of our guys to the Squad on F-12 until they join with the rest of the our Squad? Can they land and takeoff from any field of their choice if they survive the first sortie?

It would be a violation of the Rules for a pilot to ferry a P-40 in there for the purpose of switching aircraft, correct? That is the way the rules work, so you are correct as they would be switching aircraft (unless there is an exception, like we see for Kamikaze runs)

Can I transfer a couple of our guys to the Squad on F-12 until they join with the rest of the our Squad? I believe that would only happen if they actually became members of the squad based there. After the frame the could be invited back to your squad, but just putting a couple guys at the field would be a violation of the rules as I read them.

Can they land and takeoff from any field of their choice if they survive the first sortie? Since there are US bases all over the island, I think it might be possible, but I would let Jabo rule on that one. Since the fuel and ammo are the same, I would say yes.

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:14 am 
Site Admin

One squad to one base to start. The one squad at F12 gets the lucky or unlucky P36C, time will tell. No plane switching by anyone in this series.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Update to terrain now in effect in the s3 Arena. Thanks Dan!

Corrected the icons for F7 and F10. Added texture to Wheeler area.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]