New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Webpage idea
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm 

Cc will check those out :)

For now I've come this far, and learned how to create tables and a drop down list. I still have no idea how to make it so that when you choose a plane, the fields below are filled with stars. I'm in between the state of vaugely knowing What to do and How to do it.

What: I pretty much figured out that there must be a html command to bind every plane in my "select lists", with specific data which represent how I rank their abilities. I'm thinking values from 1-10 in turn rate, speed, firepower etc.

These values are then to be visually represented as stars at each category. So in the boxes I've written "formula" that means there must be a html command to access the correct data from the plane you choose in the "select list", and then convert it to stars.

How: My brain hurts

P.S. Daaarn this takes a lot of time, but it's fun :)

Last edited by Robert on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 pm 

Robert,

That looks cool. I remember in the old days we spent hours doing this. My only concern is that the CMs are always tweaking the planes and wondering if this will affect your numbers.

Still, thank you for doing this!

<S>

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:53 am 

Hopefully we are moving back to old times then, with dobs and others posting all videos etc. This is quite fun actually :)

As soon as the new flight models are released, I will do thorough testings and be open to all opinions about the planes. If a FM is later tweaked, I'll repeat the tests on that plane to bring it up to date. Guess a career as engineer is the correct way for me to go haha.

P.S. This is pretty much what I'm looking for, dunno who programmed the s6 page: http://www.errthum.com/troy/warbirds/s6/pvp.php

You choose a plane, and then stats pop up in different tables. Except for in my tables I will also have a code to translate the numbers to stars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 pm 

I am the programmer for S6 and 100th Flight Testing.

You will want to try and make whatever you do to be easily updated as things change. I do this by storing everything in a database, so I can just update it there. But, being as new as you are to these things, that might not be possible. :) Right now the ease to change is what is keeping me from updating and retesting what is on the 100th Flight Testing page. It's on my list of things to do...

If you have access to a webserver, PHP and MySQL are your friend. Very easy to learn, but time will depend on your starting point. You'll note on my pages, there's nothing fancy. People are there for the info, not to be awed and entertained.

phenix
Stats Custodian
S6c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:39 am 

If you weren't a guy I'd kiss you :D.

That's exactly what I've been trying to find, spent 8+ hours obviously wording my questions wrong on google. After reading through half of each tutorial Obi-Wan Kenobi has been showing up saying: "These are not the solutions you are looking for".

Just download a program called "reactor server" supposed to include apache, mysql, php etc. Will be fun testing it out :)

Hmm just a question that came to mind, must I have my laptop running 24/7 (I cannot do this) in order for people to be able to access the aircraft data on the webpage? Or is it stored on internet like the page itself?

Last edited by Robert on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 pm 

Yes, you would need to have your laptop going at all times, on a static IP, and have a registered web site name hit it. That's not worth it, IMO.

You'll need a web hoster. Go Daddy for example is one you have probably heard of, but there are others.

Before you go dumping money on that though, you can try out all your stuff on your laptop to make sure this is something worth your time and money.

I get enough kisses from my wife and dog. So, maybe a drink together someday!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:53 pm 

If I come by to America, close to your home, sure :)

Found this site: http://www.prchecker.info/top-10-web-hosting.php
I'm thinking about using iPage or hostgator, better to pay a small amount per month and have the webpage running smoothly with guaranteed uptimes. Seems It will also provide a built in database so I won't have to keep my PC running :)

I think I'll simply name the site http://www.wbplanecompare.com, should be easy enough to remember :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm 

I wouldn't buy anything until you learn to code. You are many months away from needing the host. :)

phenix
Stats Custodian
S6c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 pm 

To late :shock: , already pre-paid a 3 year plan 1,99$/month + full malware protection on my sites from ipage.

Btw an idea I just had since people will want exact statistics to complement the stars: Your flight model testing page has been of big help to me in WBs. I'm nerdy enough to really enjoy doing speed tests etc for every plane.

If you are interested sir, I would happily use your test methods for all new FMs soon coming out, send you the data so that you can update the 100th FM test site, and put a link to it next to my rankings. This way people can form a good judgement about the airplanes via my page, and visit your site for more detailed information. (This would probably also save me a lot of programming hehe.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:17 am 

The testing method is documented on the sight. Except for turning, all tests are automated with dot commands.

phenix
Stats Custodian
S6c

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next