Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:49 pm 

split wrote:
10:25 pm,
Macintosh
Updated warbirds before trying to login to the V1 arena.
Selecting the V1 arena WBs asks if I want to check for updates.
Selected yes (although I had just updated) and all files were up to date already.
Selected arena again, asks same question. I select No and am sent to the Arena selection screen.
Vicious circle.

Can't get into the arena and obviously others have. Weird.

Same issue here. Apparently fl2036 is required and the queue for the Mac is not up-to-date. I have 3 versions of WB for the Mac, and not a single one will update to fl2036. (It states that all files are updated.)

<S>
Nick

"Tod von Oben"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 pm 

Thats weird, Nick.

I was able to update to FL2036 on Friday.

However, in the update I did NOT have the G14 available online, while Jugggo (PC) did have the G14.

~S~
~Sakai - 坂井
daimyosakai@gmail.com
Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:04 pm 

Salute!

Nice work on that Buzz Bomb, Dawg.

For game play, the Spit, Hurri, Tiffie, and RAF planes may not be the best interceptors in level flight, but we play with the cards we are dealt. In a dive, the Spit seems very capabvle, but picking up the missile without radar would be a challenge, ya think?

For gameplay, maybe we should keep the flight models many have worked on the same and limit the V-1 to maybe 340 - 350 as you seem to home in upon. Dunno about the final target code where the doofer just nosed over.

I also wonder if RAF can borrow some USAAF Jugs and/or Ponies that might be a bit faster, but I can dream huh? USAAF can't all be hassling with the LW, IMHO.

Gums opines...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 pm 

Gums wrote:
Salute!

Nice work on that Buzz Bomb, Dawg.

For game play, the Spit, Hurri, Tiffie, and RAF planes may not be the best interceptors in level flight, but we play with the cards we are dealt. In a dive, the Spit seems very capabvle, but picking up the missile without radar would be a challenge, ya think?

For gameplay, maybe we should keep the flight models many have worked on the same and limit the V-1 to maybe 340 - 350 as you seem to home in upon. Dunno about the final target code where the doofer just nosed over.

I also wonder if RAF can borrow some USAAF Jugs and/or Ponies that might be a bit faster, but I can dream huh? USAAF can't all be hassling with the LW, IMHO.

Gums opines...

In real life, interception was not very effective until they excluded everyone from a special block of airspace except the interceptors.

In game it will probably require a 1-1 GCI/pilot setup with assigned intercept zones.

The game Spit 14 does 365 on tbe deck and will run down a V1 at the reported AVERAGE SPEED OF 340 mph but running them down in level flight is not the best tactic. A curved dive worked best in my trials.

If folks try to just wander around blind and hope to catch one, they will not have success at S3 icon ranges without inflight radar.

I will try to do one more test/practice but my time is getting very short

Post subject: Re: V1 intercepts
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:09 pm 

Salute!

Right on, Dawg.

I don't think Chain Home was good enuf for a 1 v 1 intercept, but by 1944 the Brits may have had better radar for the close work.

The WB radar is about what we had in the early 60's here in the U.S., but not quite. So the deal was NORAD SAGE site would roll me out about 2 or 3 miles behind the Russian Bison with 50 knots of over take. I could find the sucker and close in for the missile shot. Still laughing. Reminds me of the last few frames of SOM when we and our drones flew st and level while Spits chewed us up, but that was the scenario.

I can see the WB Brit DAR getting an interceptor over the top of a V-1, as they did not cruise very high. And then a split-S to get the smash and hope to get within D2 before running outta energy.

The geometry is gonna be a bear.

Gums sends...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:01 pm 

Well... I certainly hope that the V1 is modeled after the 2k bombs, in terms of blast radius, collateral damage bubble and such. Would be a shame if it were not. :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Warbird cartoon1.jpg
Warbird cartoon1.jpg [ 48.57 KiB | Viewed 7060 times ]

"Live to fly. Fly to fight. Fight to live. Recycle..." ~ Odee 475th FS CLOVER 2
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:10 pm 

Realizing that bombs require an actuation sequence intitiated by a contact fuze means you know high order detonations from shooting a bomb won't occur. You may get a low order detonation (% of explosive content cooking off), but not a high order.

Think about the bombs they dig up which fell from 20k, and are intact...means they had a failure of of the arming chain.

"Fuzes have two purposes. The obvious one is to cause the bomb to explode. When the bomb makes impact, the fuze has a spike or electrical circuit that detonates the bomb. If the fuze has a spike, that spike is driven into a small detonation charge that sets off the main bomb charge. An electrical fuze uses a spark to set off the detonation charge. Earlier bombs used pyrotechnic detonation—a flame raced down a detonation line into the detonation charge. Pyrotechnic fuzes were not used in World War II aircraft bombs because of their uncertain detonation time. (In case you were wondering about spelling, pyrotechnic fuses are fuses (with an s), while mechanical or electrical detonators are fuzes (with a z)."

Quick and easy article here:
http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/pearl-harbor-blog/aerial-bomb-fuzes

Much more indepth paper for modern fuzing:
http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcont ... k_gradthes

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm 

Salute!

Dobs has it right.

Hitting a V-1 would likely result in a big, fast-burning fire, but not a huge explosion. Would look like the WB kill graphics. The explosions we see on the WW2 film is likely the remaining fuel on the missile.

We dropped thousands of "duds" in 'nam, and our boss finally ordered the load crews to "wire" the fuze switch to the "nose/tail" position!! Heh heh.

The bad guys would actually dig up the duds and melt the tritonal, pour it into coffee cans and then use it for IED's.

Gums sends...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 pm 

Second link is to a recent "duds provide badguys with easy IEDs" type article.

<S> Gums!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:03 pm 

Gums wrote:
Salute!

Dobs has it right.

Hitting a V-1 would likely result in a big, fast-burning fire, but not a huge explosion. Would look like the WB kill graphics. The explosions we see on the WW2 film is likely the remaining fuel on the missile.

We dropped thousands of "duds" in 'nam, and our boss finally ordered the load crews to "wire" the fuze switch to the "nose/tail" position!! Heh heh.

The bad guys would actually dig up the duds and melt the tritonal, pour it into coffee cans and then use it for IED's.

Gums sends...

The active ingredient in the V1 is Amatol.

Apparently, high grade Amatol that has been molten cast into a casing is very insensitive to detonating accidentally. However, low grade pressed or extruded Amatol is susceptible to detonation via severe impact.

I have no information on the exact process used on the V1 Amatol specifically but there are anecdotal reports of detonating V1's when attacked. That could just be the fuel detonating. Either way it is a sheet steel structure filled with explosive Amatol (which might go boom) and fuel (which also might go boom)

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next