S3#108 - Channel Disasters - Spring\Summer ETO 1942
Initial Format - changes after in bold italics.
1. Frame Timeline - pilots should report in at least 10 mins before T+0 to get organized and receive any last minute order changes.
2. Pilot Lives - Pilots have three lives to live during a frame. Only those aircraft indicated for each squad on the A/C table qualify for the three lives. Ask the CM to reset you when you loose one of your lives non-operationally. Players may switch aircraft types during a frame but once they loose a life(aka bail, ditch or die) in an aircraft type they cannot use it again in that frame. This is pilot's honor. A significant change in the S3s but hopefully will allow more fighter pilots fly strike and give us more bomber\strike aircraft sorties each frame. Without bomber\strike pilots the S3s are just an old-fashioned squad duel.
3. Operational Restrictions - each side may only conduct operations in the area outlined in the game map.
4. Ord\Aircraft Restrictions - none
5. Aircraft Minimum Fuel - all aircraft must take at least 100% internal fuel with or without drop tanks.
6. Squad Aircraft - each pilot may fly aircraft listed for their squad on the A/C table. These aircraft will change over the course of the series as noted on the table. Once you loose a life in 1 aircraft type you must switch to another. All players have the option to fly the penalty planes for each side as one of their aircraft types. At no time may the exceed three lives or a\c types.
7. Squad Basing - each squad must begin play at their own at-start airfield. After initial roll they may base from anywhere. Pilots that loose a life are allowed to choose another field than the one they initially started at without it considered teleporting.
8. Aircraft drones - every player that uses an eligible bomber a\c in a frame may take up to 3 wingman with their lead aircraft.
9. Improved FMs - new FMs are being developed from last year so it is best to test them out beforehand as they will handle differently than in 2016-17. Bombers and most strike a\c are the quasi-FMs which we have been using for a couple years now.
10. Bomber Hardness - bufftuff will be at 1.0 with effective otto in this event. Bomber hardness continues to be an issue and needs further testing.
11. Channel Dash - the first two frames will represent the Channel Dash when the Germans moved two battlecruisers through the Channel under the watching British. A large German fleet will speed toward the Straits of Dover. All British attacks must be directed at stopping them from making it through. The Luftwaffe must provide continuous cover throughout their voyage over the two frames. Expect low light conditions, low clouds and possible rain squalls during the two frames. After the first frame the ships will start approximately where they left off for the second frame. Two grey destroyers will represent the battlecruisers and they will be tougher to sink than the regular destroyers that escort them. Expect heavy flak down low so launch torpedos at respectable distances and not suicide range.
12. Dieppe Raid - the last three frames will represent the Dieppe Raid when the British and Canadians attacked a French seaport town with heavy air and sea cover. Allied attacks will be limited to an area around Dieppe while the Luftwaffe must target the shipping offshore and landing at the town. Expect bright summer daylight for 3 frames. Expect a large fleet of supporting ships at Dieppe and offshore. Some will be moving and others anchored. Flak will be intense.
15. Safe Ditch - if you run off the field and ditch within 10 miles(52800ft) of the tower the ditch is NOT awarded a kill. It is assumed that aircraft and pilot can be salvaged.
16. Ditch Forced Exit - you have 5 seconds to exit a ditched aircraft. This stops trying to outlast a kill message, drawing ack fire or passing along intel at a nearby field.
17. Penalty Planes - players that commit errors in basic rules and do not attempt to correct the error during play will have a penalty plane assigned to them for the next frame. They must fly 3 lives in that aircraft type. Examples of penalty plane errors include teleporting fields when not allowed by special rules, gunning from ships or flak positions. If a player immediately addresses the error they will not be assigned a penalty plane but always inform the CM so the log entry will be ignored. It is up to each squad to make sure the penalty planes are flown.
18. Victory Points - points are awarded to each side in three categories; A/C kills, BDA and Pilot Losses. Relative points is available in the summary for this event.
19. Victory Conditions - The side with the most VPs at the end of the series wins.
20. S3 Clarifications - the S3 staff reserves the right to make a ruling on questions or game situations not answered completely or missed by the rules. For further clarification please post on the S3 forum or email Jabo.